Hitting free quota limit too quickly - transaction question

Hello
My website is only getting 5 or 600 visitors a day - and not every page has a tom tom map - but I’m getting a message very day saying I’ve reached my quota of 2500 transactions

I assumed one rendering of a map equalled one call to the API therefore one transaction. Have I misunderstood that or am I doing something wrong?

Here’s an example page
http://www.myfootygrounds.co.uk/AreaMap.asp?view=ENGLAND

many thanks

Hello.

We are not counting for a ‘map loads’ or ‘map rendering’.

According to our pricing - one API request equals one transaction for all TomTom Maps APIs, except in the case of: Map Display API and Traffic API tiles, for which 15 requests(tiles) equal to 1 transaction.

Let me know if you’ll have more questions.

Regards,
Mateusz

1 Like

Thanks. I understand that it’s per transaction but can you help me understand why my website with 500 visits a day is using up its quota of 2500 transactions?

It’s hard to tell without analyzing your particular use case.

Let’s assume that a single page load with your map size will consume around 2~3 transactions. This means that in a very optimistic scenario (500~600 visitors) your users consumed more than 1000 transactions just by visiting your site. Given the popularity of it and the fact that it’s not only displaying a map but allowing users to change its location, see the league markers and comparing the teams, there is a high chance that the majority of your users are clicking on the city buttons and playing with the map.

It would be great for you to analyze it on your side though.

Regards,
Mateusz

1 Like

Hi,

I was noticing the same (unexpected) transaction costs.
Played yesterday with my first fresh api key and noticed today that I already used 1.000 transactions just testing on my local laptop.
I guess I refreshed my page 200 times to test serveral things, so indeed it maybe costed 3-5 transactions per page visit creating the map.

As 15 requests count for 1 transaction it would have taken 45-75 requests. Probably because of zooming, moving the map etc.

I think this is the difference with Google Maps, where zooming etc does not generate additional map loads: https://developers.google.com/maps/billing/gmp-billing#dynamic-maps
Right?

Google charges by a map load. That is different from other companies, which usually charge for tiles.

If you are concerned about the amount of downloaded tiles, you can check the Networking tab in developer tools of your browser and filter requests based on the part of the URL and then count the number of downloaded tiles.

Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated.

I did some testing.
With a map with zoom: 2 I found that loading the page and drawing the map costs 16 requests (I filtered on url’s containing /tile/). So that is effectively 1 transaction.
Same amount of requests with another map I have which uses zoom: 3.

Then when moving a bit and zooming in (quite deep) it quickly goes to >250 requests; meaning 16 transactions.
And when zooming out again it goes to 400 request; or 26 transactions.

To reduce costs I think disabling zoom for maps where it is not needed would be a good option.
Are there any other recommendations to reduce number of requests?

Another variable is the map size.

When it comes to limiting that depends on your case.
You can combine with setting:

• maxBounds
  • minZoom and maxZoom
  • disabling interaction

Examples: